Back to list
UPBEET BELFAST RESIDENTIAL
September 15, 2015
On Tuesday 8th September at 4am, Eight of us UPBEET Carers and our three workers left for Edinburgh Airport to then head on for Belfast, Northern Ireland. Even though we were looking a bit rough due to barely any sleep, everybody was buzzing with excitement.
Upon arriving we quickly dropped off our bags, surprised and very happy to find the hotel had become Four Star overnight. We went for some Breakfast at the amazing Maggie Mays restaraunt which after our first meal, was decided as our main source of food for the week. It was delicious. Afterwards we spent the day at the Titanic Experience and then went for a game of Bowling at the Odyssey Complex. Stephen surprised us all somehow going from last in the first game to winning with three strikes the second time around.
Day Two went just as well. We began the day early, hopping on the bus at half past nine for an all day Giants Causeway bus tour. Our driver Phil had us laughing the whole way and we enjoyed crossing the rope bridge, taking photos and even seeing the Castle Black set of hit HBO show Game Of Thrones. We then spent a relaxing evening at the Cinema.
Day Three, we took a sightseeing bus right around Belfast City with a wonderful guide, Emur who made the most terrible but wonderful jokes. We then got some free time to explore the City Centre shops then ended the trip getting some lunch at the most amazing Burrito shop- Boojum.
The trip was wonderful throughout with worker Louise’s one liners and that one time she managed to fall over. Also, the workers loved to have their photo taken which was hilarious to witness due to their horrendous posing. Overall, the trip was an amazing experience for all of us, learning about the history and troubles of another city and culture. Also, having the opportunity to socialise not only each other but with the Irish. We’re also surprised to have survived the three days with the workers at the ‘Happy Days Hotel’ as Vickie calls it.
Here are some quotes from those on the trip:
- “My favourite part was seeing the Giants Causeway because it was a great experience and also going to the cinema was fun.” – Tyler, 18.
- “I enjoyed all of it, it was a great experience.” – Shannon, 19.
- “My highlight was finding a dessert shop that sold Crepès and I also enjoyed walking the bridge because I overcame my fear of heights.” – Emily, 17.
- “I wish that it could have been longer.” – Jonathan, 21.
- “I enjoyed Belfast because I overcame my fear of crossing over water by crossing the Rope Bridge.” – Cait, 17.
- “I enjoyed Belfast because it got me out of the house and I did things I wouldn’t usually do.” – Bethany T, 17.
- “It was absolutely fabulous.” – Stephen, 16.
- “The only bad experience of my trip to Belfast was taking advice from Bethany as I will never get that hour and a half back from seeing the worst movie ever, ” – Vickie Carnegie, ageless.
Written by Bethany Clark, 16 (UPBEET Carer)
Back to list